Quote


"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire"
- William Butler Yeats

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Turning a New Year Into a Better Classroom

The beginning of a new year is always an enjoyable time for me. Optimism rules my emotions as I reflect on the past year and how I can improve the next one. This school year is my first back in the classroom after a hiatus and the environment has changed. The first semester was a blur as I completed my master's degree, absorbed the changes since my last classroom experience, and dealt with personal issues in my life. I'm thankful for the number of people that have helped me with this transition and look forward to the upcoming improvements. By reflecting on the past - its challenges and successes - the future becomes brighter and this is most clear in the classroom. Here are the top three improvements I'm striving to work on as I move into the new year that will serve as a foundation for the remainder of my career:

  1. Make every activity relevant - This is easier said than done but I have seen how the attitude of my students changes when they are invested in a project or assignment. Everyone wins. The students learn and the lesson is smooth. 
  2. Collaborate more - The last class I took as a graduate students focused my attention on how schools change. The most important thought I took from the course was the power of collaboration for changing teachers, classrooms, and schools. Honestly, my attention on collaborating with other professionals for professional improvement is up and down. For the new year I want to be more consistent in finding a professional learning opportunity every day. 
  3. Support others - I improve when others improve. This year I will look daily for the chance to assist another student or peer. Being a resource for others is one of the only ways I can challenge myself to continue to grow professionally. 
Now the hard part: getting it done. That's why I'm writing the blog. Writing brings thoughts to life and serves as a source of accountability. Do you have a plan to improve this year? Feel free to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment