Quote


"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire"
- William Butler Yeats

Monday, October 3, 2011

Why I Love Edmodo

Edmodo is a phenomenal tool for teachers. Have you tried it? My school system recently introduced our staff to the Blackboard meets Facebook website. After a brief tutorial from my technology coach (@jrichardson30) I was ready to introduce it to my students. Setting up classes was a breeze and my 7th grade students love it. Furthermore, it makes integrating technology into my social studies curriculum a task worth tackling. Here's my top three reasons why Edmodo is a welcome addition to my classroom:

1) Edmodo allows me to take the classroom to the kids -

I tell my students that Edmodo is simply a virtual classroom. Expectations within Edmodo are the same as expectations inside the brick-and-mortar classroom. What I found, however, is that the students are as enganged - if not more - as they are in the classroom because I have met them in their world. The format of Edmodo is similar to Facebook so many of the students are quickly comfortable using it. Those that aren't quickly adapt. But all students love technology so they are instantly interested just because I have met then in their world. For example, current events no longer require cutting and pasting of newspaper articles. Gone are the days of students telling me they had no ink in their printer. With Edmodo I create an assignment, they attach the link along with their writing assignment. Just like that, they've completed the same task only more efficiently. 

2) Edmodo brings conversation to the classroom -

One of the first things I noticed when my students began chatting on Edmodo was that the conversations were more diverse. Students were chatting that I had never seen talking in class. Students are more social behind a computer screen. However, the chatting was not senseless. Students were posting YouTube videos they had found regarding class discussions and creating dialogue that was an extension of the classroom. I didn't ask them to do this. It just happened. Students looked for ways to stay on Edmodo and continuing class discussions allowed them to do so. Class the following day was better because students were productively discussing videos from the night before. Students teaching students: what a great concept!

3) Edmodo allows me to teach when I'm not teaching -

I don't want to teach my students 24/7. I have a family that demands my time when I'm away from school. However, I can check in for 5 minutes each night with my phone or my laptop and answer questions that alleviate problems in class the following day. I've created a few videos of screen recordings that I post to their pages to help with basic tasks such as adding a picture or turning in an assignment. My one minute video then can be played repeatedly for those with similar questions and allow them to complete tasks in their own time. A virtual classroom requires a virtual teacher and Edmodo affords me that luxury

What do you love about Edmodo?

4 comments:

  1. I just started using Edmodo this year with my students and they love it. It allows me to provide specific feedback to individual students, I can easily post missing assignments for students who have been out, and students can complete work from home easily. In my district we are also using it as a way for teachers to share resources and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used edmodo as I don't have a classroom. I do have some staff members who use twiducate. I'd be curious to know the differences. Might have to research that! Thanks for sharing how it is changing your practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very thoughtful uses! If I were a teacher wondering about Edmodo and it's usefulness, this post would help me move a bit closer to the water and maybe even dip a toe in to see for myself. Sounds like you have figured out how to incorporate Edmodo to best meet your needs as well as those of your kids. It's important with any new tool like Edmodo to make sure it fits with what your learning outcomes and expectations for your students so as to not just use it because it's cool or fun. And it's just as important to constantly evaluate the tool alongside the students and find new, creative ways that it might increase their learning. Afterall, a lot of teachers run to technology because of the promise that it will make things "easier," which is okay or because it will allow them to do something they have always done in a new way. But what we really need to ask is does [this] give our students more opportunity to work together, create, collaborate, increase understanding and think deeply about relevant stuff? I think Edmodo does all of this if used by a thoughtful, passionate teacher...and it sounds like you are just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving Edmodo, and I appreciate how you clarified the things I'm finding in my first few weeks of using it. My classroom management students at UAB were all very frustrated with Blackboard. Edmodo has been a huge relief for all of us because of how natural it is to use, like you said.

    ReplyDelete